Security & Privacy
- What Types of Personal Information Do We Collect?
- How Do We Use Your Personal Information?
- With Whom Do We Share Your Personal Information?
- How Do We Protect Your Personal Information?
- What Are Your Choices and Rights?
- Changes to This Privacy Notice
- How Can You Contact Us?
In this Privacy Notice, we describe how E.C.Knox uses personal information that we collect from you if you are in the U.S. and you:
- Access or use our website at www.ecknox.com or any other website, application or online service that we operate which includes a link to this Privacy Notice; or
- Contact us for customer service.
1What Types of Personal Information Do We Collect?
Information You Actively Submit: If you buy our products online, sign up for updates and marketing communications from us, participate in our sweepstakes or surveys, request specific product customizations from us, submit a product review on our website, contact us for customer service, or otherwise interact with us via our online services, we may collect personal information about you, including the following:
- Contact Data, which may include your name, alias, username, postal address, email address and telephone number;
- Order information and Account Data, which may include your Contact Data, payment card information, billing address, birth day and month, gender, nationality, and the details of the products or services you have ordered, purchased or requested from us;
- Giveaways or Sweepstakes Data, which may include your Contact Data and the details of the giveaway or sweepstakes you have voluntarily entered;
- Social Media Data, which may include your social media interactions with us (e.g., if you “like” or “share” or “comment” on something you see on our social media platforms) and any information you actively provide to us for social media marketing purposes; and
- Correspondence Data, which you voluntarily provide to us when making inquiries to customer care, comments on our social media, product reviews on our site, survey feedback, and any other information you actively provide to us.
Information Passively Submitted on our Online Services: When you use our online services, we collect information from or about the computer, phone or other device on which you have installed, or from which you access, our online services, and information about your usage of our online services, including the following:
- Technical Data, which includes your IP address, browser type and version, device identifier, location and time zone setting, network and/or service provider, operating system and platform, page response times, and download errors;
- Online Usage and Interaction Data, which includes the websites you visited before and after visiting our website, products you viewed or searched for on our online services, length of visits to certain online pages, online page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouseovers), methods used to browse away from online pages, your interactions with our marketing emails (such as whether and when you opened an email from us, and whether you clicked a link in the email or forwarded the email), and your interactions with our online ads.
- Enable basic functioning of our website;
- Web analytics to improve our website (structure, features, accessibility and usability, content, or to fix any technical issues through gathering relevant technical data);
- Enable certain basic functions of online browsing and shopping with us (for example, save information you generated or provided on our website such as preferred items, items placed in the cart);
- Monitor the effectiveness of our online ads and marketing (by recording your interactions with our ads on third-party websites, our social media platforms or our marketing emails); and
No Children’s Information: Our online services are not intended for use by children under the age of 13. We do not knowingly register or otherwise collect personal information from any child under the age of 13 without the prior verifiable consent of the child’s parent or guardian.
2 How Do We Use Your Personal Information?
We use the following categories of personal information for the following purposes:
- Contact Data to communicate with you, including about products and services you have ordered, or to send you updates about our products, services, or campaigns that may be of interest; or when you voluntarily enter to win a contest, sweepstakes or giveaway.
- Order Information and Account Data to create and manage your account on our website (for example to enable you to access, update and save your preferences to the account); fulfill your orders, including product customization requests.
- Social Media Data to interact with you through our social media platforms; and administer social media marketing initiatives or social media advertising campaigns.
- Correspondence Data to respond to any specific queries you may have when you contact customer care, to understand your preferences so that we can provide you with updates about our products, events, or services that may be of interest, to administer sweepstakes and giveaways, or to improve our product offerings and customer experience based on your responses to a survey or product review.
- Technical Data and Online Usage and Interaction Data to provide, maintain, monitor, secure, debug, personalize and optimize our online services to and for you; provide you with customer service and technical assistance for example when you use our chat function; and to generally develop and improve our products and services. We also use technical data that is automatically collected by cookies and related technologies to understand the effectiveness of our ads and social media campaigns.
We also use your personal information for the following purposes (collectively, the “General Processing Purposes”), as permitted by applicable law:
- Advertising and Marketing Activities: To provide you with marketing communications, updates on special offers or promotions, products and services that we believe you may be interested in, or to administer and let you know about our sweepstakes and giveaways. We may tailor the content of those communications based on our understanding of your preferences.
- Compliance with Laws: To perform activities necessary to ensure compliance with applicable national, state, provincial and other applicable laws, and to respond to requests from government authorities.
- Protection of Legal Interests: To protect our legal interests, such as in the event of a complaint or dispute.
- Advertising and Marketing Activities: To provide you with marketing communications, and updates on special offers, campaigns, products and services that we believe you may be interested in, and tailor the content of those communications based on our understanding of your preferences.
- Research and Development: To perform research and undertake surveys to understand preferences about our products and customer experience, to improve product design and product testing;
- Merger or Sale: In the event that we, or some or all of our assets are acquired by or merged with a third-party entity or in connection with a merger, acquisition, sale, or other change of control, we may transfer some or all of the personal information that we have collected about you to another organization as part of that transaction. If we intend to transfer your personal information in connection with such a transaction, we may proceed with notice to you, grant you an opportunity to object, or seek your consent, as permitted or required by applicable law.
3 How Do We Use Your Personal Information?
We may share your personal information with the following types of third parties as permitted by applicable law:
Our service providers and business partners: We rely on affiliated and unaffiliated companies, agents and contractors to assist us with the provision of E.C.Knox services and products to you, including:
- Online payment and fraud prevention service providers when you make a purchase;
- Delivery / logistics service providers, to deliver products you have purchased;
- customer care services
- Infrastructure and IT service providers, including cloud service providers to administer our website and your account if you register with us;
- Marketing, advertising and communications agencies to send you information about products and services that may be of interest to you;
- Providers of services related to some enhanced online features such as customer review;
- Advertising companies who help us understand the effectiveness of our ads and traffic on our site;
- Providers of website testing / analytics services; or
- External auditors and advisers;
We provide our service providers and business partners with access to your personal information so that they may provide services to us, subject to non-disclosure agreements and other data protection safeguards.
- Third parties permitted or required by law: In certain circumstances, we may be required to disclose or share your personal information to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation. For example, we may be required to disclose personal information to regulators, government agencies or to judicial or administrative authorities. We may also disclose your personal information to third parties where disclosure is both legally permissible and necessary to protect or defend our rights, for law enforcement purposes, or to enforce our contracts or protect your rights.
- Third parties connected with business transfers: We may transfer your personal information to third parties in connection with a reorganization, restructuring, merger, acquisition or transfer of assets, provided that the receiving party agrees to treat your personal information in a manner consistent with this Privacy Notice.
Please note our online services may contain links to and from the websites of our partners or affiliates that are not owned or operated by us. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please review the privacy policies of third party websites before you submit any personal information to them. We are not responsible for any privacy or security policies of these third party sites.
4 How Do we Protect Your Personal Information?
We have implemented technical and organizational security measures intended to safeguard the personal information in our custody and control. Such measures include, for example, limiting access to personal information only to employees and authorized service providers who need to know such information for the purposes described in this Privacy Notice, as well as other administrative, technical and physical safeguards.
For example, when you place an order on www.ecknox.com, we use Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology, an encryption tool that provides security while transmitting information over the Internet. We also use firewall technology, password controls, and other technological and procedural safeguards in respect of your online interactions with us.
While we endeavor to protect our systems, sites, operations and information against unauthorized access, use, modification and disclosure, due to the inherent nature of the Internet as an open global communications vehicle and other risk factors, we cannot guarantee that any information, during transmission or while stored on our systems, will be absolutely safe from intrusion by others.
5 What Are Your Choices and Rights?
Unsubscribe. You may unsubscribe from our marketing emails or SMS communications. To unsubscribe from email marketing, please click the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of any email that you receive or email us at email@example.com. To unsubscribe from SMS communications, follow the instructions in the message. Please note that if you have already requested products or services when you decide to withdraw consent, there may be a short period of time for us to update your preferences and ensure that we honor your request.
Update, Modify or Correct Your Information. We encourage you to contact us to update or correct your personal information if it changes or if you believe that any information that we have collected about you is inaccurate. We may request information from you to honor your request, such as to ensure proper authentication or to verify the business branch of ours to which the information was provided.
6 Changes to This Privacy Notice
We may change, modify, add, or remove portions of this Privacy Notice at any time, in which case we will provide individuals with notice of such updates where required by applicable law and then upload the updated Privacy Notice to our website www.ecknox.com. You should check this page periodically for changes. Your continued use of our online services or any of the other services described in this Privacy Notice following the posting of changes to this Privacy Notice will be considered your consent to those changes.
7 How Can You Contact Us?
To exercise any of your privacy rights, or if you have any questions or concerns regarding this Privacy Notice or the data processing practices outlined herein, please contact us as follows:
1 Categories of cookies
Some cookies are deleted when you close down your browser. These are known as session cookies. Others remain on your device until they expire or you delete them from your cache. These are known as persistent cookies and these types enable us to remember things about you as a returning visitor. The main categories of cookies we use include:
- Strictly necessary cookies: These cookies are essential in order to enable you to move around the website and use its features, and ensuring the security of your online transactions with us and online access to our website. Without these cookies, services you have asked for, such as completing a transaction, cannot be provided. These cookies don’t gather information about you for the purposes of marketing.
- Performance cookies: These cookies allow us to count the number of visitors and collect information about how visitors use a web site, for instance which pages visitors go to most often, and if they get error messages from web pages. These cookies don’t collect information that identifies a visitor although they may collect the IP address of the device used to access the site. All information these cookies collect is anonymous and is only used to improve how a website works and the user experience. By using our websites you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device, however you can block these cookies using your browser settings (please see “How to manage your cookies” section below).
- Functionality cookies: These cookies allow us to recognize you when you return to our website and allows the website to remember choices you make (such as your user name). They may also be used to provide services you have requested such as watching a video. The information these cookies collect is anonymized (i.e. it does not contain your name, address, account details, etc.) and they do not track your browsing activity across other websites. By using our websites you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device, however you can block these cookies using your browser settings (please see “How to manage your cookies” section below).
- First and third party cookies: Whether a cookie is a first or third party cookie depends on which website the cookie comes from. First party cookies are those set by or on behalf of the website visited. All other cookies are third party cookies.
- Targeting/Marketing cookies: These cookies make marketing messages more relevant to you. We or a third party advertising network may collect information relating to your browsing history and interests to tailor relevant advertising to you. The advertisement network partner may use marketing cookies to collect usage, navigational or other statistical data about your activities on our websites and mobile applications to provide you targeted advertising based upon your interests, limit the number of times you see the same advertisement on our websites or mobile applications and to help measure the effectiveness of advertising campaigns.
- Personalization cookies: Cookies may also be used on our website to personalize your shopping experience and enable you to use certain function, to deliver ads which might be relevant to you, or for us to conduct internal testing on what works best for our customers. To find out more about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set and how to manage and delete them, visit www.allaboutcookies.org. Alternatively, you can search the Internet for other independent information on cookies.
- Enable basic functioning of our website or to fix any technical issue through gathering relevant technical data;
- Web analytics to improve our website (structure, features, accessibility and usability, content) or to fix any technical issue through gathering relevant technical data;
- Enable certain basic functions of online browsing and shopping with us (for example, save information you generated or provided on our website such as preferred items, items placed in the cart, billing address to save time and effort when you next return to our website or shop with us);
- Monitor the effectiveness of our online ads and marketing (by recording your interactions with our ads on third-party websites, our social media platforms or our marketing emails);
- Learn more about your preferences and Internet browsing tastes to provide you with tailored advertising (you certainly don’t want to hear from us about something you are not interested in).
1 How to manage your cookies?
The browsers of most computers, smartphones and other web-enabled devices are typically set up to accept cookies. If you wish to amend your cookie preferences for this website or any other websites, you can do this through your browser settings. Your browser’s ‘help’ function will tell you how to do this. If you do not want the benefit of cookies, there is a simple procedure to manually delete your cookies at https://www.allaboutcookies.org/manage-cookies/stop-cookies-installed.html, but please visit the links below to opt-out of marketing cookies from over 50+ major third party behavioral advertising providers:
- Network Advertising Initiative: www.NetworkAdvertising.org/choices/
- Digital Advertising Alliance: www.aboutads.info/choices/ Please remember that cookies are often used to enable and improve certain functions on our website. If you choose to switch certain cookies off, it may affect the user experience.
1 Who and what information is subject to the CCPA?
The CCPA protects California residents as “consumers” with respect to their personal information, although a number of exceptions apply. As a result, the Supplemental CCPA Disclosures and relevant CCPA Rights subsections below may not apply when they restrict our ability to comply with a court order or regulator with competent authority, federal, state or local laws, and cooperation with law enforcement, exercise of our legal claims, or collection or use of de-identified information.
2 Supplemental CCPA Disclosures
We have set out below the categories of personal information we have collected about California residents in the preceding 12 months and describe, for each category of personal information collected, the business or commercial purposes for which the information was collected. Each of the categories of personal information listed in the table are collected directly from consumers. Each of the categories of personal information in the table may also be shared with the following categories of third parties: (i) our Service providers and business partners, including those listed at Section 3 above, (ii) Government entities as required by applicable law, (iii) other recipients at your discretion or with your consent, or (iv) Third parties in the event of a proposed or actual business transaction involving all or any portion of our business.
Additional information about sales of information can be found below the table.
|Category of personal information:||We collected such personal information for the following purposes:|
|Identifiers such as a real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, or other similar identifiers.||We may use this information for any of the purposes described in Section 2 above.|
|Categories of personal information described in subdivision (e) of Section 1798.80 of the California Civil Code, including name, signature, address, telephone number, and credit card number, debit card number, or any other financial information.||We use this information to process payment, fulfil your order, or process a return.|
|Characteristics of protected classifications under California or federal law; namely, gender and age.||We use this information to better understand our clientele.|
|Commercial information, including records of personal property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.||We use this information to fulfil your order, manage consumers’ online account with us, personalize and optimize consumers’ shopping experience with us (for example, letting you know when a favorite product is back in stock, recording certain information from past purchases which can be used in future purchases such as preferred address and favorite store locations), provide consumers with customer care, and customize a product per a consumer’s specific request.|
|Internet or other electronic network activity information, including, but not limited to, browsing history, search history, and information regarding a consumer’s interaction with an Internet Web site, application, or advertisement.||We may use this information for any of the purposes described in Section 2 above.|
|Audio, electronic, visual, or similar information.||We use audio, visual or similar information that you may voluntarily provide in connection with customer care inquiries or when you engage with our social media initiatives.|
|Inferences drawn from any of the information identified in this subdivision to create a profile about a consumer reflecting the consumer’s preferences, characteristics and attitudes.||We use such information to personalize and optimize consumers’ shopping experience with us, enable consumers to use our “wish list” features online, tailor our marketing efforts, and develop and improve our products and services.|